Wednesday 29 March 2017

Last Story

This last note is being directed to the many readers who have sent such thoughtful notes ‎of support over the last two months. Being a such a long ways away,  I am really grateful for your support and encouragement and it has kept my enthusiasm going to make the story as interesting as possible. Thanks very much and again sorry I could not reply personally, best, Nick

Ps I am sure my good friend Karen will not mind my sharing this story!


Thanks Karen! This may be providential and I ‎know you will appreciate hearing about it. I wish I had time and space to share it with my wider audience but yesterday was chock full of uncertainty and a race against the clock.

We left the Mena Hotel at 5 am for the 200 km trip to Alexandria. Having made one journey already in a crowded bus to get the 'preliminary' paperwork completed we did not anticipate too many delays, not! We got to the shipping/cargo area and it was one stop, then another and on and on. I was understanding because  ‎after all, we are in a foreign country and it is not often that 10 motorcycles are being containerized to go to the U.S.

Others were not and were in danger of people missing their flights. We did not get back to our hotel until 14 hours later and it was touch and go for 3 of our group to make their 1:30 am flights.

When we FINALLY got permission to load the bikes you should have seen Helge swing into action! Of course he has done this before but not with such a rush against the clock. He swung those bikes around and strapped them down with the rest of us helping in record time all in the dark with a few flashlights; quite the scene.

So here is the providence bit: that lovely little clam shell you gave me for good luck was in my right hand riding pocket zipped up the whole time along with an emergency plastic key, a whistle and some chapstick.

We get to the shipping port at one of our wait points and it is getting warmer so people are stripping off clothing including me; a little while later I look down where my bike is on its center stand and there lying on the ground is that little clam shell! It was so neat to see it there all white and obvious on the dirty ground.

I really do not know how it got there or even fell out of my pocket and I did not have time to check for holes in the lining. I just looked at it for a few seconds and then picked it up, dusted it off and put it back in its hiding place.

Later I thought about the coincidence of it all; last day, last stop, there it was maybe sending a message.

Thanks a lot for asking me to take it along because I am sure that little clam shell kept me safe.

Best, Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment